This post may contain affiliate links which means that sproutinue.com may make a small commission at no extra cost to you. We only promote products that we love and feel will benefit our readers. Please read our Disclosure Policy for more information.
If you’re a gamer like me, you’ve probably heard of Buff Gaming. Buff is one of the newer players on the scene, so you may be wondering, “is Buff legit?”
Yes, Buff is legit. The app lets you earn passive rewards for playing games like Fortnite, Counter Strike, and other popular games, and you can earn rewards.
However, the app doesn’t pay much, so it won’t make you rich. It’s a fun side hustle to make extra money during your spare time.
In this Buff Gaming review, you’ll learn how it works, how it pays, and whether you can earn using the platform. All these will help you make your own decision on whether it’s a worthwhile side hustle.
We’ll also look at the features of Buff, the pros and cons of using the platform, and some reviews from real users.
What Is Buff Gaming?
According to Buff CEO Elay De Beer, the platform is “a loyalty program for gamers on top of blockchain that allows gamers to earn rewards.”
It’s an app created by Overwolf, a platform designed to help app developers create extensions for their video games.
Buff is a loyalty program that allows you to play all your favorite mobile and PC games for rewards.
Unlike other gaming apps like Mistplay, where you’re rewarded for accomplishing specific achievements in the games, Buff is more passive.
All you have to do is run it in your phone’s or computer’s background while you play, and you’ll earn rewards.
If you’re an avid gamer, you know how expensive gaming can be, especially if you want to play the latest games at their best. Sometimes, you may need COD points to unlock premium content.
Buff Gaming allows you to save on how much you spend on games and helps you profit, depending on your passion as a gamer.
According to Buff’s website, it has more than 450,000 active players daily, playing more than three million matches daily.
The platform is more tailored towards gamers who already spend a lot of their time playing mobile and PC games and is less suitable for people looking to make money from it.
How Does Buff Work?
If you want to try the platform, you must know how the app works. Here’s a detailed step-by-step guide to help you get started.
1. Sign Up and Download the App
The first step you should take is to download the Buff app for your Windows PC or the mobile app for your iOS or Android device.
Buff Gaming is available to users worldwide, but some of the products in their Marketplace, like gift cards, may only be available to U.S. residents.
Buff Gaming works on both desktop and mobile, but the platform is more designed for PC gaming. You’ll find more PC games compared to mobile games.
Still, the app does support a couple of mobile games, so you can still get it for your phone.
While Buff Gaming supports PC games, it does not support gaming consoles. This means you can’t be rewarded for playing games on your PlayStation or Xbox. However, they’re planning to include gaming consoles in the future.
You can download Buff by visiting their official website, then click on “Download Buff for Desktop” if you’re downloading it for your PC.
Your PC must meet specific system requirements to support the Buff app.
The requirements include:
- Operating system: Windows 7 (64-bit), Windows 8, or Windows 10
- Hard drive space: 50MB
- CPU: If your PC runs video games supported by Buff, then your CPU is okay
- RAM: you’ll need at least 4GB, but 8GB is preferred
You can also download Buff for your mobile devices from their website. The app is available for iOS devices and Android 7.0 or higher.
After downloading the app on your preferred device, you can sign up to create your account. This way, you can sync the app to an active Buff account.
Buff Gaming is completely free to use, but it also has Buff Premium, an optional paid subscription plan. You can subscribe to this plan for additional features.
Some features of the Premium plan include:
- Earnings boost
- Extra Buffs monthly
- Access to Challenges and Raffles
- Exclusive items and prices on the marketplace
- Access to Buff’s premium community Discord channel
There are different Premium membership plans to choose from, including:
Premium – costs $35.99 annually, and you get the following:
- 50 extra Buffs monthly
- Premium items on the marketplace
- Premium price for said Items
- 150% game earnings
Premium Plus – costs $53.99 yearly and gives you the following
- 100 extra Buffs monthly
- 200% game earnings
- Access to the premium Discord channel
- Challenges and raffles
- Premium items
- Premium prices for the Items
Premium Elite – the plan costs $69.99 per year and includes the following:
- 200 extra Buffs monthly
- 300% game earnings
- Access to the premium Discord channel
- Challenges and raffles
- Premium items
- Premium price for the Items
- A 200% reward daily
The only difference between the free plan and the memberships is access to more earnings.
If you pay for the premium plan, you get extra points every month, and you get better prices for rewards.
The plans are optional, so you don’t have to pay to use Buff.
2. Play Games and Earn Buff Points
Once Buff is running in your device’s background, you can play games to earn rewards. Buff supports a wide variety of PC and mobile games.
Some of the desktop games supported by Buff include the following:
- League of Legends
- DOTA 2
- Rainbow Six
- Call of Duty: Warzone
- Rocket League
- Apex Legends
- Teamfight Tactics
Buff supports fewer mobile games, and they include the following:
- Clash of Clans
- Clash Royale
- Brawl Stars
Buff is designed using Overwolf technology, which uses the APIs from Buff’s gaming partners to keep track of your in-game performances. It guarantees that the software won’t affect your performance, and you won’t even notice it, as it runs in the background while you play games.
The number of Buff points (Buffs) you earn will depend on your performance. For instance, a better KD ratio means you’ll earn more Buffs. You also get more points whether you win or lose matches.
Buff is more geared toward PC gamers, so the mobile gaming section is less developed. If you’re looking for an app that rewards you for playing mobile games, you should try alternatives like Drop or Mistplay.
Buff’s software is only used to collect in-game data, including your performance and achievements, so you don’t have to worry about the invasion of your privacy.
3. Cash Out Your Buffs for Rewards
Every time you earn Buffs, they’re gradually deposited into your account. Buffs are the in-game currency you can use to purchase rewards from the Buff Marketplace.
Some of the reward options include:
- Gift cards to Amazon, Xbox, PlayStation, Domino’s
- In-game skins
- Free Steam codes
- Google Play credit
- Gaming gear, such as headsets and mice
- Free PayPal money
- In-game currency and items for some games
Each reward option shows you the points you need to redeem it and the country it’s available in. Some reward options will only be available to U.S. users, so users in other countries may have limited reward options.
Typically, you’ll need 600 Buffs to redeem $5 gift cards. The rest of the reward options, such as in-game rewards and Steam codes, will require approximately 900 to 1,500 Buffs.
The number of points you earn depends on your performance and how much time you spend playing. It may take quite some time to rack up enough points to cash out, so you shouldn’t expect to make a lot from this app.
Is Buff Legit?
Buff Gaming is a 100% legitimate platform that rewards you for playing your favorite mobile and PC games. Most of these rewards are Steam codes and in-game currency, so you shouldn’t expect to make much from the app. However, you can make extra cash in your free time doing something you love.
Buff is not a scam. It’s a legit platform where you earn points for playing your favorite games, and you can cash out once you’ve earned enough points.
Buff is among the most popular gaming reward apps, but you should manage your expectations regarding how much you’ll earn.
Another reason Buff is legit is they’re very transparent about how they make money. While the app is free, there are also paid subscriptions for users who want access to more features.
Buff makes money from the subscription fees paid by members and interchange fees.
Additionally, Buff generates considerable revenue from the ads on the platform. This revenue allows the company to reward its users.
You may also be concerned about the app’s safety. Buff is safe to use, as the software is only used for in-game data collection.
The bottom line is that Buff is a fun side hustle for anyone who enjoys gaming. It’s tailored towards gamers, so if you’re an avid gamer, you can earn while doing something you already enjoy.
How Much Does Buff Pay?
So, how much should you expect to make from Buff? It depends.
If you’re an avid gamer, you stand to make roughly $5 to $15 in Buff points per month. The points you earn depend on your performance and how often you play.
The payout may seem low, but this is common for most gaming apps that pay. They’re not known for making people rich, so you should have realistic expectations as you sign up.
Buff has several ways through which you can boost your earnings.
You can sign up for one of their premium membership plans, which will help you earn rewards faster. If you enjoy playing games, consider paying for Buff Premium.
In addition to the earnings boost, you’ll also unlock perks like:
- Discounts at the marketplace
- Access to the Buff premium Discord channel
- Various raffles and challenges you can take to win bonus prizes
How Do You Get Paid on Buff?
The more you play, the more Buffs you earn, and you can redeem these Buffs for various rewards called “Items.”
These items are available in the marketplace, and each has a specific number of points they require to be redeemed.
The items you can redeem include the following:
- Gift cards
- PayPal money
- Steam keys
- Gaming hardware, such as mice and headsets
- In-game currency and items for games like League of Legends and Apex Legends
Buff recently rolled out Buff Pay, a gaming debit card for gamers. The card charges a $0 annual fee and offers several perks, including:
- A $100 bonus once you spend at least $1000 using the card
- A $15 gift card for spending at least $500 using the card
- A $5 gift card for depositing $50
- 3% cashback in the form of Buffs for all purchases made using the card
Buff Reviews from Real Users
The best way to determine whether a platform is legitimate is to read reviews from users who have used it.
It’s also vital to read reports and user reviews from trusted sites like Reddit and Trustpilot, as some sites usually have fake reviews.
We’ll go over a couple of reviews from users on Reddit. Buff has mixed reviews on the site, ranging from good reviews to complaints.
Some major complaints include how long it takes to earn enough points for redemption and how rewards are often out of stock.
Here’s what users have to say about Buff on a Reddit thread:
- PvncakeGames says: “I been using it, it’s a bit annoying to use if you play fullscreen. Might have to tab out to close the lil window that pops up every game, but it doesn’t ask for a card. Just an email.”
- Dacoconutspy says: “All you basically need to know is if you are using Buff for money- please don’t. If you are using Buff as just something in the background – can’t hurt.”
- TumbleweedSuch454 says: “I downloaded, then ran a full anti-malware/virus scan, and it didn’t detect anything. And it’s not a waste of time, if you do your weekly challenges, you can get 5 steam bucks in like 2 weeks. Sure, it may take time but its free money.”
Pros and Cons of Buff
- Easy way to earn a passive income
- supports a wide variety of popular PC games
- Available worldwide
- Tons of reward options, including gift cards to Amazon, Xbox, and more
- Now supports mobile games as well
- Great rewards for gamers, from steam codes to in-game currencies
- PayPal payment is available
- You won’t make much from the app. It may take months to earn enough Buffs to cash out a $15 gift card.
- Sometimes rewards are out of stock
- Users outside the U.S. have limited reward options
- Gaming consoles are not supported
- The platform supports very few mobile games
- Some users are concerned about data collection
Other Apps Like Buff
Whether Buff isn’t your favorite gaming app or you need more ways to make extra money playing games, here are several options to consider:
- Mistplay: This is a loyalty program for gamers and is one of the most popular apps that pay you to play games. The app rewards you for playing new mobile games.
- Rewarded Play: This popular gaming platform allows you to play third-party Android games to earn rewards like gift cards. The app has a wide selection of games to choose from.
- JustPlay: Another loyalty program for gamers who enjoy playing casual mobile games. You can earn rewards, collect coins, and give to charity using the app.
- Gamehag: The platform rewards users for playing mobile and desktop games. There are several fun PC games and minigames on the app that allow you to earn.
- Bubble Cash: This is a skill-based bubble shooting game where you can play against other players in tournaments to win cash and prizes. The app has both a free and a paid version.
- Redbubble: A unique platform that gives independent artists a means to sell their creations. You can sell your creative designs on Redbubble using them on products like stationery, apparel, bags, and more.
- Cash Alarm: This legit app allows you to earn real money and gift cards to retailers like Amazon and Walmart by playing the games on the platform.
- Cash Giraffe: This app lets you earn gems for downloading and using various games and apps. It’s one of the platforms that pays real money.
- Money Well: The platform allows you to earn gift cards and PayPal money for playing new games. With an average of 4.3 stars out of 5, it’s a popular app.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Buff Safe to Use?
Buff is safe to use, as the data collection software is used solely for in-game data like your performance and accomplishments.
The software runs in the background, so it does not affect your PC’s performance while you play.
Is Buff a Virus?
The Buff Gaming platform is entirely virus-free and malware-free. Some users complained that the app slowed down their PC since it uses the computer to run.
However, the company says your PC won’t feel any changes with the app running in the background. You shouldn’t notice any difference if you have the recommended 8GB RAM.
Is Buff a Crypto Miner?
Some claim that Buff uses your PC to mine cryptocurrencies, but no evidence substantiates these claims.
Buff explicitly states on its website that it doesn’t mine for Bitcoin. If you have concerns about crypto mining, you can do your own research.
Is Buff a Bitcoin Miner?
According to Buff’s website, it’s virus-free, malware-free, and does not mine for crypto.
Does Buff Record Your Games?
Buff records your sessions and organizes them by game and by date.
Buff does two types of recordings, including Event Based Games, which automatically record all special events during your game, such as kills and deaths.
These are used to keep track of your performance and award points accordingly.
How Does Buff Make Money?
Buff makes money from premium subscriptions. The platform also makes money from advertising.
So while you can use the platform without paying, Buff will still be monetized through advertising.
So, is Buff legit? Yes, the platform is a legitimate way for avid gamers to earn while they play.
Is it worth using? Now that depends on you. If you already spend a lot of your time gaming and want a fun platform to earn rewards, then Buff is the platform for you.
With reward apps like Buff, you have to set realistic expectations. If you want to make a lot of money, consider other options.
Hopefully, this review has shed more light on Buff, and you can now make an informed decision.
Looking for other ways to make extra cash doing what you love? Check out: