This post may contain affiliate links which means that sproutinue.com may make a small commission at no extra cost to you. We only promote products that we love and feel will benefit our readers. Please read our Disclosure Policy for more information.
Founded in 2006 by Martin Hosking, Redbubble has been a place of solace for more than 800,000 artists looking to build a name for themselves and make money off their art. The online marketplace allows you to set up an online portfolio where you can upload your artwork and merchandise.
You can have your artwork printed on the products sold by Redbubble and get a cut from the sales of those products. But is Redbubble legit? Redbubble is a safe and legit platform where you can sell your artwork.
With thousands of positive reviews on Trustpilot, Redbubble is arguably one of the leading online marketplaces for artists and consumers alike.
I’ll highlight some of the reasons why Redbubble is legit and how to sell or buy on the platform.
What Is Redbubble?
Redbubble is an online marketplace that mainly sells clothing like t-shirts, tank tops, and merchandise like mugs and posters. Besides product sales, the platform allows artists to market their work for print on the items for sale. Generally, it is a mutually-beneficial business model for both the artists and consumers.
The platform is also great for shopping trendy wear, accessories, and collectibles for decor or personal use. It has successfully bridged the gap between ordinary consumers, small businesses, organizations, and budding artists looking for clients.
Redbubble has seen immense success over the years, attracting more than 800,000 artists and generating millions of dollars in sales. With a solid track record and more than 2,000,000 unique monthly visits, it’s undoubtedly one of the best online marketplaces.
How Does Redbubble Work?
Redbubble is essentially a print-on-demand website. This means customers get to choose the prints they want on the products for sale, and Redbubble facilitates the printing.
If you visit the website, you’ll be greeted by an array of products for sale. Pick whatever you like, then choose a design from the plethora of artwork available on the website. Redbubble will print the design on your product and facilitate its delivery. It is simple and straightforward business model, but what about the artists?
Aside from selling retail products to customers, Redbubble also provides a platform for independent artists and graphic designers to promote and sell their artwork. As an artist, all you have to do is create an account for free and upload your best work. Customers will then browse the artists’ collections and choose the pieces they want for their prints. The platform pays you a cut for all purchases with your print design.
Is Redbubble Safe to Buy From?
Yes! It’s completely safe to buy from Redbubble. It’s a legitimate platform where you can buy products and get the exact product you ordered. Redbubble is a global online marketplace that respects the artist’s intellectual property, so you can safely purchase items on the platform.
However, it’s worth noting that Redbubble is a fully online marketplace, meaning it doesn’t have any brick-and-mortar stores or warehouses. Every time you order from Redbubble, they send the order to a third-party printing company to print and ship your order.
Most customer reviews indicate that the platform fulfills its mandate and delivers without much complication. In case of any issues, Redbubble has a responsive customer care service eager to answer your queries and address any concerns.
Is Redbubble Good to Sell On?
You can make money online with Redbubble, but it’s not guaranteed. If you have the right equipment, skills, and quality pieces, Redbubble is an excellent platform to sell on. In fact, some people make a decent amount by investing in quality art pieces and selling their designs on the platform without creating the art themselves.
Redbubble will pick a base rate for any item you upload to sell. This will be the cheapest amount the product will sell for. Once the product sells, the artist receives a percentage of the cash, called the artist’s margin. This is usually about $20 but can be higher or lower depending on your preference.
If your definition of “good” is a place where you get money from selling your artwork, then Redbubble is good. However, it’s worth noting that there’s no guarantee of making money off the platform. Artists have to put in considerable effort to sell on Redbubble.
How to Sell On Redbubble?
Selling on Redbubble is pretty straightforward, provided you have a solid portfolio. Follow the below steps to sell your art on Redbubble.
- Create your profile: The first step is to visit the Redbubble website and create your artist’s profile. This should include your name and email address.
- Pick a profile photo: The profile photo is your chance to make a great impression on potential buyers. Upload an image that’s eye-catching and reflects the rest of your portfolio.
- Input payment details: Next, furnish Redbubble with your payment details to get money from your artwork. Follow the screen prompts and enter the relevant details, and you’re good to go.
- Upload artwork to your profile: The most important step when selling your artwork is uploading it to Redbubble. Select your best pieces and upload them one by one to the platform. Enter a unique and creative description for the pieces, then click “upload.”
- Promote your artwork: Redbubble is a pretty competitive space for artists. As such, you’ll want to promote your artwork to increase sales. The best way to do so is through social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.
- Track your sales: With continued use of the platform, you’ll probably start making money. It’s important to keep track of your sales and focus on the art that sells. This will help you create art that converts into actual sales.
Is Redbubble Legit for Artists?
Redbubble is absolutely legit, and artists can make good money from the platform. Not only does it ensure you get payment for whatever prints you sell, but it also ensures you get paid on time. This explains why the platform gets so many visitors and attracts hundreds of thousands of artists.
It’s not uncommon to find a few negative reviews online. However, complaints are common with all online marketplaces, even big wigs like Amazon.
Still, it’s worth mentioning that Redbubble doesn’t guarantee the sale of your artwork. If no customer is interested in your work, you won’t earn a single dime. This may be why Redbubble gets such a bad wrap from some artists.
How Much Can You Make on Redbubble?
It’s only natural for artists to wonder how much they can make from the platform. There’s no one-size-fits-all answer because how much artists make of the platform depends on a couple of factors. These factors include the quality of the artist’s work, their promotion efforts, and much more.
However, as mentioned earlier, artists usually get 50% of the base price, which isn’t too bad. However, you’ll need to put in considerable effort to make a living off of Redbubble.
Pros of Redbubble
Over the years, Redbubble has made a name for itself as a leading online marketplace and a platform for connecting talented artists with customers. Some pros of the platform include.
- Passive income: Artists can earn passive income by selling their various designs, especially if they have the right skill set and a rich portfolio. Redbubble has made earning money while you sleep a possibility for artists from across the globe.
- Straightforward upload process: Uploading your work to Redbubble is a breeze. With only a few clicks, you’ll have your work uploaded and ready for printing.
- Self-paced: Redbubble lets you work at your own pace. There are no deadlines or milestones to meet. Artists can upload their work at their convenience without worrying about meeting quotas.
- Millions of viewers: With millions of viewers, you have a huge customer base at your disposal. If your art is up to par, you can make some good cash off of the platform.
Cons of Redbubble
While Redbubble is an excellent platform, it’s not without its downsides. Here are some cons of Redbubble.
- Tons of competition: As mentioned earlier, Redbubble attracts hundreds of thousands of artists across the globe, making it a very competitive space. You’ll have to be exceptional to stand out from the crowd and sell your art.
- Takes time: Don’t expect to join the platform and start racking in the big bucks immediately. It takes time for your profile to gain traction and start attracting customers. You’ll have to be patient with the platform.
- Self-marketing: Redbubble doesn’t market any artwork you download. It’s wholly up to you to market your work on the right platforms to attract the right buyers for your art. Most artists turn to social media to market their portfolios with varying degrees of success.
Final Thoughts: Is Redbubble Legit?
Redbubble is a legit platform for artists and consumers. If you’re an up-and-coming artist looking for a platform to showcase your work and sell your prints, then Redbubble is worth it. However, don’t forget about the competition and make adequate plans to market your work to the right people. That’s the only way to make a killing off of Redbubble.