This post may contain affiliate links which means that sproutinue.com may make a small commission at no extra cost to you. We only promote products that we love and feel will benefit our readers. Please read our Disclosure Policy for more information.
If you live in a town or city where DoorDash is slow, you may be wondering, can I DoorDash in another state?
Yes, you can DoorDash in another state or city, which can be a great way to make more money. Switching to another state is a DoorDash hack used by many dashers.
So whether you’d like to try the DoorDash market in another state or looking for ways to make money while on vacation, DoorDash has you covered.
In this post, I’ll cover everything you need to know about Dashing in another state, including how to change your location and a few DoorDash driver tips to maximize your earnings.
Want to make fast money? Try out:
- SayMore – Get gift cards to your favorite stores for sharing your opinion!
- YouGov – Share your opinion and earn free PayPal money and gift cards!
Can I DoorDash in Another State?
Yes, you can DoorDash in another state, provided DoorDash operates in that area.
However, DoorDash does not allow you to Dash in a different country from the one you signed up in. For instance, if you’re a U.S. dasher cannot work in Canada, and vice versa.
Additionally, other factors determine whether you can dash in another zone, including how busy the area is at that moment.
DoorDash delivery areas are divided into zones. Whenever you open the DoorDash app to start working, you can choose different zones, provided the zone is red and not grayed out.
If a zone is gray, it means that the area is too busy for you to deliver, so your options are to dash in another state or city, provided that the zone is active.
If your city borders another state, you can look in the Dasher app and select a nearby active zone, even if it’s in the other state.
You can even schedule your dash in advance and select a zone in a different state if you’re available for work.
How To DoorDash in Another State
If you’d like to DoorDash in another zone, the first step is to be located in the zone you plan to Dash in.
The area must be available to dash in, so you can see the “Dash Now” button in your Dasher app.
The DoorDash app verifies your location and checks the availability of orders in that zone using your device’s GPS.
When you hit the “Dash Now” button, a box pops up on the screen asking if you’d like to change your location.
The app displays your old location and the new location you want to update to. All you have to do is click “OK,” and DoorDash will update your location to the new one.
If the “Dash Now” button is unavailable, you’ll have to drive to a busier zone with enough orders.
Extra Reading: Is DoorDash Worth It?
How Do I Change My Location on DoorDash?
Changing your location on DoorDash is very easy, as everything can be done in the app without contacting support.
Here are the simple steps to follow:
- Log into your Dasher app. You’ll see a map showing all the starting points and different zones around your city.
- Choose the location you want to dash in. You’ll see the “Dash Now” button if it’s available.
- If you’re not in the location you want to Dash in, just click on that zone and click the “Dash Along The Way” button. This way, DoorDash keeps you in their system, and once you get to the zone, you’ll start getting orders automatically.
- After selecting “Dash Now” or “Dash Along The Way,” you must choose how long you’d like to dash. DoorDash is very flexible, so you can select any length of time depending on your availability.
- You’re good to dash! If you’re in the zone and click “Dash Now,” you’ll start receiving delivery requests.
If you select “Dash Along The Way,” you’ll get delivery requests when entering the zone.
Sometimes you may be unable to click on “Dash Now” or “Dash Along The Way,” which normally means there aren’t enough orders in that zone.
If that’s the case, you can schedule your dash and reserve a future time when you’ll be available.
Why Can’t I Change My Location on DoorDash?
If you’ve tried to change your DoorDash location but can’t, it may be due to one of the following reasons:
- There are too many dashers in that zone: DoorDash has to balance the number of dashers and incoming orders in a zone. If there are too many dashers in a zone, try picking a different zone.
- DoorDash doesn’t operate in that location: DoorDash is a popular food delivery service, but it’s unavailable everywhere.
- You’re in a different country: If you’re not in the country you signed up in, DoorDash won’t allow you to dash.
- Technical difficulties: Sometimes, you can’t change your location because the DoorDash app is down. The issues are typically resolved within a few hours, so you must be patient.
Pros & Cons of Dashing in Another State
While you can DoorDash in another state, weighing the pros and cons can help you make an informed decision.
- You can dash in a busier market, which translates to more DoorDash orders.
- Some markets offer higher base pay, so you may make more and land bigger tips.
- You can make money dashing while on the road.
- You may have to spend more on fuel to get to the new state, which increases your expenses.
- You may not be familiar with the DoorDash hotspots in the new area.
Tips To Increase Your DoorDash Earnings
Dashing in another state is one of the tips you can use to maximize your earnings as a dasher. Here are a few other tips you can use:
- Choose the right time: You should determine the best DoorDash times in your zone to take advantage of the increase in orders.
- Track your expenses: Dashers are independent contractors, so you should keep track of your expenses for potential deductions come tax season.
- Use multiple apps: Try other delivery apps like DoorDash or Instacart and use them simultaneously to maximize your earnings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I DoorDash From Another Country?
No. You can’t DoorDash outside the country you reside in. For instance, if you signed up to work in the U.S., you cannot dash in Canada or any other country.
Can You DoorDash in More Than One Zone?
Yes. Provided DoorDash is available in an area, you can work there. DoorDash is available in thousands of cities, so your earnings are not limited to a particular geographic area.
DoorDash allows you to dash in multiple zones, but it depends on the demand and supply of dashers in that area. If there are too many dashers already, you may be unable to work.
Can I DoorDash While Traveling?
Yes. DoorDash allows you to work anywhere, provided DoorDash is available in that city. The only restriction is you can’t work in a different country from the one you signed up in.
Hopefully, this post has answered the question, “Can I DoorDash in another state?”
Yes, you can DoorDash in another state, and it’s one of the DoorDash hacks you can use to maximize your Dasher earnings, especially if you live in a small town where DoorDash is slow.
DoorDash allows you to make money even on the road, so you can work while traveling as long as there are enough orders.
Remember to keep track of your expenses so you don’t spend too much getting to the other location.
Looking for other ways to make money? Check out: